By Association for Jewish studies
Read or Download Association for Jewish studies 2005-29(2) PDF
Similar jewish books
This publication is the 1st to systematically research the representations of girls via mainstream modern Hebrew authors, like A. B. Vehoshua, Amos ounces and Amalia Kahana-Carmon. Fuchs' specific analytical procedure brings to gentle not just the constant adjustments within the fictional characterizations of fellows and ladies, but in addition the unforeseen ways that those transformations are with regards to the author's gender.
Whilst do you assert mazal tov? what's a get, a golem, a kibbutz, a chalutz? What 4 plant species are waved in the course of prayers at the harvest pageant of Sukkot? you will discover solutions to those questions and hundreds of thousands of others during this impressive choice of the simplest recognized, such a lot enjoyed Hebrew phrases and words within the English talking international.
This booklet makes use of contemporary psychoanalytic concept to research the paintings of 3 modern scholars--Harold Bloom, Stanley Cavell, and Sacvan Bercovitch--while viewing their paintings as expressing Jewish immigrant wants for integration into American tradition. "This publication will fill a big hole within the background of yank feedback and ethnic stories.
Israel in Exile is a daring exploration of ways the traditional wasteland of Exodusand Numbers, as archetypal website of human liberation, varieties a templatefor glossy political identities, radical scepticism, and wondering ofofficial narratives of the country that seem within the works of contemporaryIsraeli authors together with David Grossman, Shulamith Hareven, andAmos oz., in addition to diasporic writers reminiscent of Edmund Jabes andSimone Zelitch.
- Association for Jewish studies 1998- 23(1)
- Revolutionary Yiddishland: A History of Jewish Radicalism
- Private Joel and the Sewell Mountain Seder (Passover)
- Concealment and Revelation: Esotericism in Jewish Thought and its Philosophical Implications
- Jewish history and Jewish memory: essays in honor of Yosef Hayim Yerushalmi
- Sentences of Pseudo-Phocylides
Additional resources for Association for Jewish studies 2005-29(2)
So he decided to go to Amsterdam. Zaremba'swife and theiryoung son went along, not knowingthe purposeof the trip. "'19They asked for more money from 15. "The Polish text implies that the ban was issued against Christiansstudyingthe text. Kraszewski,Wilno, 174. On the Talmudin early modernCatholicthought,see, for example, KennethR. Stow,"The Burning of the Talmudin 1553 in the Light of Sixteenth CenturyCatholicAttitudes towardthe Talmud," Bibliothequed'Humanismeet Renaissance 34 (1972). 16. A traditionalexpression and pun on bet ha-tefilah, house of prayer.
1The storywas enthusiasticallyembracedby EasternEuropeanJews, and it subsequentlybecame a subjectof numerousnovels and novellas. It is currentlymentionedon a numberof Jewish web sites as "a true story of a Polish Hrabia (count) ... 2 Although converts to Judaismwere not unheardof in the premodernera, * I would like to thank the YIVO Institute for Jewish Research for awardingme the Dina AbramowiczEmergingScholarFellowshipin supportof this article and for giving me the opportunity to give a public lecture on the topic, duringwhich I received several valuable comments.
29. Kraszewski, Wilno,181. HebrewMS, JNUL, Microfilm F 52930, 9 (last page). 30. It is found only in the Hebrewtext, koser. In the Polish text it only states that a letter came by mail. This probablywould point us to a postpartitiondate, because traditionally,the Polish king was referredto as melekhin Hebrewtexts. 31. Kraszewski, Wilno, 169. On J6zef Ignacy Kraszewski, see Polski Stownik Biograficzny (Wroclaw,Warsaw,Cracow:ZakladNarodowyOssoliniskich,1970), 15:221-29. "33Rabbis tended to regardconverts whose conversion was motivatedby ulterior motives, such as a desire to marrysomeone Jewish, or to advancetheir career,with suspicion.
Association for Jewish studies 2005-29(2) by Association for Jewish studies